Saturday, May 7, 2011

Confession #6- I write dance routines in my head.

If you have ever spent any considerable amount of time with me, you would know that I zone out a lot. Like, full out gaping mouth staring into the distance. You may think that I am doing this, because I have lots and lots of other things to think about, or I'm actually thinking about nothing at all. Neither of these are actually the case. I will tell you what I am thinking about: dance routines.
Now, I have always been a fan of music and dancing. When I was five all the way until last year, I thought I was going to be a professional ice skater when I grew up. I mean, all three times I went ice skating, I never fell. Everyone knew I had the talent. Anyway, my parents used to love to let me believe in myself and stuff, so they would take a light-blue sheet and lay it on the ground. I somehow acquired a pair of sparkly heels, and would put them on to "skate" across the sheet. My parents had previously recorded Michelle Kwan skating at the Olympics, and would let it be my inspiration as I skittered around the blue cloth. So, I decided at the tender age of five that my calling in life was to be a professional ice skater or something.
I wasn't dumb, so I realized that it takes more than just skill on the imaginary ice to be a successful skater. I also had to be pretty good at writing dance routines. Once my sister was old enough to understand that she was the little sister, and had to do what I said, we began to make the dance videos. I would roll them out one after another, and I thought to myself that they were pretty darn good. With titles such as: Beauty and the Beat, and Ada Spears, I was on the fast-track to fame. My parents were so supportive; they were dedicated to filming every routine, and clapping at all the right times... I felt like a million bucks, and knew I would be worth that or more once I beat Michelle Kwan at the Olympics.
Everything was going according to plan until Ada got to be a sassy preteen, and Michelle Kwan stopped skating professionally- my world was over. I packed away the light-blue sheet and heels in my closet, and now keep all my dance routines to myself. DON'T WORRY, they're still there, just all in my head- and in home videos. If you ever come over to my house, my father will be glad to show you. Now that I'm all washed up, and have no reason to live, I just zone out from time to time and remember the glory times. The good times. When I was on the fast-paced road to becoming a professional ice skater.

Oh, how things change.

1 comment: