Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Confession #7- Your no might mean yes to me.

I'm a determined little bugger. Like mentioned earlier, I have asthma. My doctors told me that I would not be able to run like normal people, or participate in competitive sports. Well, nobody tells me what I can't do but my mom, and even that has changed, so there was no way in heck I was gonna listen to that old smelly man wearing a lab coat. I ran every opportunity I got. I ran on the playground, I ran back in forth in the house, I ran around my yard with my dog, I ran to the bathroom (when I really had to go), and I even ran on the track team in High School. Now, in exactly one month from now, I will be running 26.2 miles in the Teton Dam Marathon. I'm still alive you stupid doctor.
Also, I was incredibly nerdy in middle school. Like I mean seriously the whole glasses, braces, and acne. Oh, another thing: I was very awkward around you know the b-o-y-s. I never stood up for myself, so the only way that I could truly exercise any kind of confidence was in doing kind of radical things in art class. I know right? I was such a rebel. I mean, any time my teacher told me to quit talking, I didn't. Anytime she said: "Hey Hannah, draw this: blah, blah, blah," I drew that blah, blah, blah. Anytime she said: "Hey Hannah please clean out your paintbrushes." I didn't until she wasn't looking and then I did, because that's just a waste of educational resources. Anyway, I felt like by doing the opposite of what she asked, I was a little less nerdy.
Something else that I am is persistent. I am persistent. Like, when I was fourteen, I went to my first church sanctioned dance, and saw what I thought was the love of my life. He was two years older than me, and I was incredibly interested. He asked me to dance that night. I was hooked. So, first I got close to his family- you know, invited myself to their house and stuff. Then, when I saw him more and more often, I talked to him about how I felt. He said "no", and I said: "okay," but really I was thinking: he's a boy, so he probably doesn't even know what he wants. So, I knew that I needed to take his no as a yes, and keep pursuing him, I mean that's what would be best for him, right? So, finally after two years of hearing "no," and turning them into "yes" in my head, he decided he wanted to date me after all. We dated off and on for almost three and a half years collectively. Worth it? Of freaking course.
I know that it may seem like there is no point to this cluster of stories, but I promise that there is. That point is: no can mean yes- to me. I've learned that I am right in interpreting answers this way, because I have never found a reason not to. So, if you really want to tell me no, maybe try telling me yes, or maybe there's just no hope for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment